World Day of Social Justice
By Saundretta James
World Day of Social Justice is on February 20, 2022. How will you celebrate it? What is it’s history? More information can be located through the United Nations website. However, there is much to be understood about Social Justice in general.
Let’s first take a look at this day for the United Nations this year under the theme of “A Call for Social Justice in the Digital World.” When COVID-19 lockdowns occurred, many were forced to stay and work from home. This is wonderful if a person has access to the internet. However, what happened for those who did not? The divide and presence of inequalities between both individuals and developing societies deepened. What happens for those who lack funding to continue to update digital technologies? All countries deserve access to technologies which allow them to advance if they prefer them in order to thrive in our digital world. The Secretary General Guterres’ Roadmap for Digital Cooperation is an excellent resource for digital guidance. This is why, “This year’s commemoration supports efforts by the international community to search for solutions to achieve sustainable development, poverty eradication, the promotion of full employment and decent work, universal social protection, gender equality and access to social well-being and justice for all.” (1)
Sustainable Development Goals
The Sustainable Development Goal 16-Peace, Justice, and Strong Institutions seeks to “Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels.” (2) The General Assembly understood the need for social justice in the context of International labor. Therefore, “On 26 November 2007, the General Assembly declared that, starting from the sixty-third session of the General Assembly, 20 February will be celebrated annually as the World Day of Social Justice.” There are additional resources below to educate oneself and one another about the “International Labour Organization Declaration on Social Justice for a Fair Globalization,” “World Day of Social Justice,” “World Employment and Social Outlook,” and “Social Justice in an Open World: The Role of the United Nations.” What are ways we can continue to assist the UN’s efforts to achieve this theme of “A Call for Social Justice in the Digital World?” See the “Call for Action,” section below. Let’s keep fighting for digital/work equality for all.
- International Labour Organization Declaration on Social Justice for a Fair Globalization: https://documents-dds-ny.un.org/doc/UNDOC/GEN/N08/482/73/PDF/N0848273.pdf?OpenElement
- World Day of Social Justice: https://undocs.org/Home/Mobile?FinalSymbol=A%2FRES%2F62%2F10&Language=E&DeviceType=Desktop
- World Employment and Social Outlook: https://www.ilo.org/wcmsp5/groups/public/—dgreports/—dcomm/—publ/documents/publication/wcms_771749.pdf
- Social Justice in an Open World: The Role of the United Nations: https://www.un.org/esa/socdev/documents/ifsd/SocialJustice.pdf
CALL TO ACTION
- Read the resources provided above, share with your community.
- Share video about “The ILO and the Quest for Social Justice: https://www.ilo.org/global/about-the-ilo/multimedia/video/events-coverage/WCMS_104961/lang–en/index.htm
- Contact UNA Chicago with any resources that you would like us to share!
Director of Advocacy, UNA Chicago